Tuesday, September 26, 2006

What's new on Knowledge

This week on IDeA Knowledge there's an article on wikis. And it doesn't mention ours... Even so, it's a good overview on the resource - and I think for me highlights one of the most important usages:

For local authorities and government agencies, wiki technology is not so much about providing a journal of record. It is a way to gather technical and managerial information electronically, in a flexible and inexpensive way.


Yep, it's flexible. For me, it's a great way of recording the good practice that I come across - or hopefully it will just appear in PM Partner as our many collaborators share their experience, too. The article also points out the drawbacks...

There are, though, risks involved. A number of public wiki sites have encountered problems with individuals or small groups. There may be attempts to hijack the sites to put across a particular point of view, promote commercial interests, or in some cases, simply to cause disruption.


Actually, there's been an hilarious example of a wiki being hijacked by a notable Internet personality - Guido Fawkes and his band of merry digital trouble makers. I shouldn't really poke fun - because I sure wouldn't be laughing if it happened to me. You can read all about it here on David Wilcox's blog Designing for a Civil Society

Back to main page

No comments: