Thursday, April 27, 2006

to blog or not to blog

Topics: blogging, ODPM

In today's Local Government Chronicle, David Miliband's blog gets a bit of a slating. Not for its quality or even for its content, but for its cost.

From the LGC (though I can't link to the article itself, because it's in the paid subscription part of their site):

The site has brought readers a glimspse of the minister for communities and local government's thinking on some of the most fundamental challenges facing local government - as well as some pure trivia.


...snip...

Some users have criticised the cost of the blog, which is part of £6,000 Office of the Deputy Prime Minister IT contract.


Six thousand quid? I wouldn't for a moment be frivolous about public money, but 6K is relatively cheap compared to the cost of printing and distributing even brief three colour leaflets. And of course, the blogging element is only part of the contract.

For me, I use this blog to communicate as well as place to store information and my own thoughts about more effective partnerships as these develop. Truthfully, this is a bit of an experiment, but one I'm personally passionate about. I hope it's useful to you as readers - and please do give me feedback on how it could be more useful. Just click on the comments button below the post and let me know.

Already, this blog has been useful to me. Just today a reader has sent me a tip on some good practice in partnerships (feel free to leave those kind of things, too, in the comments section.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There has already been some debate about the cost of David' blog and I've responded to say that £6,000 is actually very good value for a 'corporate' blog that needed to be integrated into the ODPM site. I don't have LGC log-in details on this computer but will check later and probably comment again on my own blog.

Ingrid Koehler said...

Yes...as someone who has commissioned web work and other consultancy, I know that's not too bad.