Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Volunteer this

Topics: neighbourhoods, users and citizens, engagement

David Wilcox's blog Designing for Civil Society is really good. In fact, I think I'm going to add it to my regular reads*. I don't know why I haven't already.

He had a great post last week called "How to Kill Volunteer Enthusiasm, Officially"

The UK government has never been more committed to citizen engagement at local level, through policy directives on participation and its plans for neighbourhood governance. But, just as I think participation isn't working and we need a new approach, my friend Kevin Harris offers a reality check in Neighbourhood governance: a top-down burden?.... or "I'm a volunteer, and I'm on overload."

His main point is that engagement is about relationships. Overburdened relationships aren't likely to be the most productive.


__________
*I use an RSS feed reader - an excellent way to keep up with blogs and all kinds of news. Rather than having to go to someone's website to check their blog - the content comes directly to you. Find out more about RSS and feed readers at IDeA Knowledge.

Back to main page

No comments: