Friday, June 16, 2006

Friday funday

Another Friday and another lighter look at local government around the world.

Local hooliganism

I came up on the train yesterday to speak at a North East Learning event today. Since I'm packing light and not seeing any colleagues or clients, I wore my England shirt up on the train. Big mistake. The only people wearing similar when I got on the train were some extremely dodgy characters around King's Cross and some American tourists. My fellow passengers coudn't quite make out which I was (I'm American and dodgy!), but they were extremely surprised when I started going over my Powerpoint notes about performance management with both the IDeA and Audit Commission logos.

Still, I made it to the hotel in time to watch the game and prepare for today's event. What a result.

Why do I have to be Mr Pink?

The council in Phoenix, Arizona and a local dog-owning Friends of Reservoir Park are in discussions about access to a park the Friends group has renovated as a place for dogs to run and play. It's called Reservoir Dogs! Park.

Sharp dilemma on the English Riviera

via 24 Dash: A seaside resort's signature palm trees have been branded a potential hazard by the local council. But the authority today denied it was "going health and safety mad" and spoke of plans to plant more.

The palm trees appear in a poster promoting the English Riviera resorts of Torquay, Paignton and Brixham. But the exotic species needed to be "carefully and appropriately used", said Torbay Council senior urban design and landscape officer Paul Osborne. "They can cause maintenance problems as they have very sharp leaves."

Campaigning on urban blight

Local elections may be over in England, but in the US they're just heating up with a spate of primary and general elections for state, local and federal offices across the nation. The mayoral elections in Washington, DC is highlighting the issue of abandoned cars in a way that that one candidate may not have had in mind.


Back to main page

No comments: