Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A real Christmas cracker

The lighter side of local government

Well, I'm off for my holiday break after today - but I wanted to wish all the readers a Happy Holiday and a Prosperous New Year. The IDeA wishes you Seasons Greetings (do follow the link - it's cute!) If you're so minded - I wish you a Merry Christmas, too. In lieu of Friday Funday -we're having a wacky Wednesday full of holiday cheer:

A punishment to fit the crime
I've already blogged about councils putting up seasonal displays. Now one council has already experienced vandalism of their lights and a little restorative justice.


A hooded gang who vandalised a town's Christmas tree were made to redecorate it again just moments later after being caught on CCTV. The yobs had ripped £100-worth of fairy lights from the tree in Bridgwater, Somerset, but were marched back to the scene of the crime to repair their handiwork by police officers.

Sedgemoor District Council has released grainy, CCTV photos of the youngsters re-decorating.

Too right, I say. Though not exactly in the same league, I experienced a little Christmas vandalism last year at the hands paws of a local youth.

2005-12-17 052
I tried my best to make her pay, but I had less luck with the restorative justice than the local Somerset constabulary.

Christmas dinner
Growing up in the Southern US, Brussels sprouts were not a regular part of our holiday fare. But I've grown to like them. But not nearly as much as this guy.

A Devon man who hoped to set a world record by eating the most Brussel sprouts in a minute has failed. Richard Townsend, 24, of Exeter, fell seven short of the target of 43, which was set in December 2003. Mr Townsend, who had eaten a plate of sprouts every day for the last six months, said he just "lost it".

Oh, dear. Mr Townsend prepares his sprouts simply by trimming them to a uniform size and cooked them (I guess quite simply) for four minutes. I definitely couldn't eat 43 in a minute. I can eat more than I might otherwise though if they're prepared in a way taught to me by an old friend - I'm no recipe writer, so do bear with me - but trust me these are delicious!

  • Prepare sprouts as normal
  • Load the sprouts up in a steamer (I use a double boiler with steamer section - but you can also steam in a microwave proof boil with a bit of cling film over the top)
  • Toss in three or four peeled cloves of garlic - cut in half or thirds if you're so minded - otherwise at least score them
  • Throw in a pinch of oregano or basil - or even herbes de Provence
  • Dice red sweet pepper or bits of sundried tomato and stir them into the mix (an optional step - but it does make those sprouts look festive)
  • The essential step: drizzle sprouts with olive oil
  • Steam until tender, but not too mushy (you'll just have to use your judgement)
  • Salt to taste (I usually do this at the table afterwards)
Yum. Yum. Happy Christmas everyone.

Back to main page

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More sprouts
This from the Guardian: "One thing I learned from Le Gavroche is this: frozen sprouts are the best. They always say that sprouts need a frost and there is no frost better than a freezer. Defrost your sprouts, take off the outer green leaves and fry them in a generous amount of butter. Wait until it is bubbling away nicely and then throw in one layer of sprouts across the base of the pan and fry them until they are slowly singed on the outside. They are better than any fresh sprout."